Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Kissed a Frog and I Liked It

Dear Eve,


I'm a 20 year old girl and I wonder if I should get a boyfriend before I'm a senior in college. My parents met each other when they were my age and I worry about being old and alone.

Dear Buy-Him-Off-the-Rack,

Interesting.  Usually questions about procuring a mate have more of a "Will I ever fall in love?" or "Should I wait for my soul mate and not settle?" kinda vibe.  You seem more interested in knowing if it's time to drag a man back to your cave, which is so odd, it's kinda awesome.  I like a woman that has confidence that her destiny will be fulfilled when she deems it so.

So sure!  Get a boyfriend before you graduate if it will ease your mind.  I don't think it will make you happy, but that doesn't seem to be high on your list of priorities, at least not yet.  But honey, getting a boyfriend just for boyfriend's sake is a recipe for misery.  And woe! to the poor slob that you pick!  I hope he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body.

Why approach it this way, though?  I don't think it's unusual for a single woman your age who's not in a serious relationship to start to think about finding someone to spend a lifetime with, but usually there is a drive to find a partner; someone to help make you a better person; someone to make you happy, and laugh and be glad to be alive!  The focus is kissing a lot of frogs to find the prince, not just finding a warm(ish) body before the clock strikes 12.  YOU WILL NOT TURN INTO A PUMPKIN I SWEAR IT if you go home from the ball alone.  And please go home form the ball alone if your only option is bringing home a cold-blooded croaker with a Napoleon Complex.  Just be, woman, and have fun with where you are in your very young life.  Go out and meet new people, hang out with your friends, do the things you love to do and at exactly the right moment, someone will walk into your life and they will never walk out.

No comments:

Post a Comment